Young archaeologists, dig into Montréal’s past!
In our Archaeo-Adventure workshop, students will learn about Montréal’s history just as archaeologists do: by digging it up! They’ll unearth the past in a unique interactive space set up to resemble an urban dig site and an archaeology laboratory.
What will they find in this part of Old Montréal? Can they coax the artifacts they unearth to “speak”? It’s a fascinating introduction to archaeology and a very hands-on way to explore traces of the past!
Students will also get to experience Generations MTL, presented in a room equipped with a 270º screen. Archaeological remains come to life, a countdown begins, centuries roll by… Suddenly, an island appears, and then, a city. A captivating and memorable immersive experience!
What will the students do during the workshop?
- As a team, they will conduct a dig on a site actually studied by archaeologists.
- Use real archaeologists’ tools and apply the scientific method in archaeology.
- Unearth various objects and identify them in the laboratory, by comparing them with real historic artifacts.
- Match the objects with different periods of occupation of the site.
- Share their findings with the group.
Concepts covered during the workshop
- Archaeological practice: archaeology, artifacts, ecofacts, remains, scientific method, digs, stratigraphy, periods of occupation, ways of life, materials (bone, stone, pottery, metal, glass).
- Ways of life over several centuries of history: cultural phenomena: daily life and lifestyles (diet, entertainment, and customs).
The activities in this workshop are in line with the aims of the Quebec and Ontario elementary and secondary education programs.
They are also in line with a guidance-oriented approach allowing students to learn about archaeology as a career, in a workshop/exhibition that recreates the main working conditions.
The activities help develop the following subject-specific competencies:
Our experienced interpreter-guides can adapt the tour to students’ ages and interests, making this a rich and varied learning experience.