At Pointe-à-Callière, history leaves traces... in the hearts and minds of our young visitors!
Thanks to the magic of artificial intelligence, students step back in time to discover the market square in 1749 and chat with three virtual historical figures! During this guided tour, young people explore the timeline illustrating key moments in Montréal’s history, use interactive genealogy terminals to search for ancestors and revisit the centuries-old archaeological crypt.
Students will also get to experience Generations MTL, presented in a room equipped with a 270º screen. Archaeological remains come to life, a countdown begins, centuries roll by… Suddenly, an island appears, and then, a city. A captivating and memorable immersive experience!
What will the students do at the Museum?
- Examine and compare different objects to make links between historical periods, archaeological layers and different lifestyles.
- Look for and identify the traces of different buildings unearthed during archaeological digs under Montréal’s former Marketplace.
- Imagine life at different times, by examining models showing how the Pointe à Callière site changed from the 14th to the 19th centuries.
- Meet virtual historical figures, thanks to advanced technological projections.
Concepts covered during the tour
- Archaeology: stratigraphy, remains, artefacts.
- History and ways of life: land use, cultural phenomena, economic activities, trade, means of transportation, lines of communication, immigration, canals, fortifications.
The activities on this interpreted tour are in line with the aims of the Quebec and Ontario education programs and help develop the following subject-specific competencies:
Our experienced interpreter-guides know how to adapt the tour to students’ ages and interests. Come experience Montréal’s history, right where it all began!